Friday, January 18, 2013

I'm Certified!

No, not certifiable.  Though some would disagree.  I'm actually certified--as of yesterday, I'm an ACE-Certified Personal Trainer!  This has been my dream for a while, and I'm over the moon that it's finally coming to fruition!

Last year as I prepared to send my oldest to kindergarten, I started to wonder what I was going to do with myself once they were in school.  I never finished my degree in music because I realized pretty late in the game that it was just wrong for me.  For a few years I worked in retail, and I was really good at it.  But I didn't really LOVE it.  As a part-time extra job, I worked mornings at a local all-women's gym.  It. Was. Awesome!  I loved everything about it--the healthfulness, the camaraderie, the ability to help women feel wonderful about themselves.  I quit my higher paying retail management job and started working at the gym full-time.  I had daydreams of becoming a trainer one day.....and then we moved to Germany.  Everything was put on hold for a while, and my fitness fell in the gutter as two kids came along.  Which was fine.  I still walked for groceries more than most people walk for fitness.  But upon our move back, I knew I needed more.  After getting in the best shape of my life last year, I started to think about it all again.  And becoming a personal trainer just made sense.  I could work part-time if I wanted to, possibly in the evenings without having to use childcare, I could maybe work at a gym WITH childcare, I could work from home, there were so many options!  So I ordered my training materials and got started.

I didn't tell anyone other than my husband about my test yesterday.  I was scared of failure.  I've been studying, but it hasn't come as easily as it used to.  It's been quite a while since college, and I just wasn't in the groove anymore.  It was hard!  But I registered for my test and knew I needed to be ready by that date.  Having a date for something is always a key for my success, I'm too lazy otherwise.  I've been a mess for the past week, and during the test I almost vomited from nerves.  Turns out, I aced it!! 

So now, on to my next step--a job!  I'm still unsure of where to start.  My ultimate goal is to run a small training facility for women.  Even if it's just out of my home.  But I want to work with pre-/post-natal, and even post-post-natal women who would benefit from not only fitness but a healthier lifestyle with much higher self-esteem for themselves and their families.  I would love to be a beacon of healthy change for so many women who are scared of being the best SHE she can be!

So where do I start?  Presently, I have a little thing lined up (as of a few days ago) to organize group running at the local YWCA.  It's not a paying job, just something to get the program off the ground and hopefully turn into something permanent and paying.  Which is fine with me.  I'll be getting childcare for the boy while I'm there, I'll be getting mileage in with other people (always more fun!), I'll be helping others meet new goals, and I'll be getting my foot in the door at an awesome pro-women's establishment.  I know I can't wait around there forever for a PT job to turn up, but I will try to make my mark.  I will also push the PiYo Strength idea since I don't see it on their class schedule, muahaha!

So yeah, that's what I've got right now.  I know what I want, I'm getting started, and I just have to make a path to get there.  But I'm on my way!  And I have even MORE reason to work out in the meantime, woohoo!!

Happy Friday!




No comments:

Post a Comment