Thursday, January 3, 2013

Three Things Thursday--Lots of Catching Up!

First off, I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays!!!  We had an absolute blast!  I'm going to attempt to tell you how it all went down, how we got a new family member, and what my plans for 2013 are.  (Wow, that sentence sounded like a high school English essay example.  Nerd alert.)

1.  We started our Christmas break here at our house, as the calm before the storm.  We spent a few days out and about at times, but mostly finishing last-minute gifts and just enjoying each other.  We attempted to eat healthy, but it's hard when you know you're going away for a week.  But we stuck with fixing things we could take with us.  On Christmas, the kids went nutty getting all of their awesome new stuff!  Then on the 26th we set out with a car full of clothes, presents, and leftover homemade pizza (our Christmas Eve tradition--made with homemade honey wheat crust and super good homemade sauce!) and headed to my mother's house.  After a few awesome days with my family, we went to my husband's family (1.5 hours south of there) and spent the last few days.  Then we ended the chaos on the 1st and headed back to our comfy condo.  Now we're just trying to readjust to the kids not being spoiled and the adults not being able to sleep in!  Oh, and there's another major (super adorable) adjustment we've had to make too.....

Snuggling with his new friend since the cats hate him
2.  We got a puppy!!!!!  We have been wanting a dog for a while, but we've not gotten one because of our impending move.  We knew it would be easier to move with one less wild body, and it would be less stress on this already messy condo.  But sweet little Murray had different plans.  We were driving to a cave in the middle of the country with my mother, when the little guy ran right in front of her car.  She stopped in the road, and from our car behind her, we could see him going under and just playing with her tires, begging for attention.  We picked him up and fell in love instantly.  Of course, we knew there was a chance that someone was missing the little guy, so we asked all the neighborhood people.  It's a very rural (ahem, redneck) community, and they all seemed to know each other.  But no one had any puppies.  So we figured he was dumped there, probably a Christmas puppy that didn't instantly learn potty training and got ditched.  He was cold and scared, his fur was in awful condition, and his swollen belly looked like he had worms, so we snatched him up and rescued him.  There were no promises to the kids that we'd keep him, we wanted to wait to check on microchipping and his health.  But considering we'd already named him (we found him on Murrayville Road on the way to Murrayville Cave, so Murray was perfect!), we figured he was becoming family already.  He took a full day to start acting energetic, and he was thrown into so many different homes over the few days, but he's been incredibly sweet and loving through it all.  He's been checked out, given medicine, and now he's already grown into his harness, has soft lovely fur, and is happy as a lark.  He's presently sleeping on our couch getting snuggled by my daughter.  We're over the moon about having him in our family!  The cats still aren't sure though.

3.  On a completely different note (this is where I'd get docked points on my English essay for lack of flow), I'd like to mention my resolutions for the year.  Last year, I didn't set many specific goals and I didn't pressure myself too much on any of them.  I think I'll stick with the same this year, as it kept me from feeling disappointed at year's end.  Here's what I plan on doing in 2013:

Drink less of everything except water
Eat healthier
Spend more time teaching the boy preschool stuff
Run 100 miles/month (Yes, this is specific.  But I won't beat myself up if life happens)
Finish my Spartan Trifecta
Get my personal training certification
Have more sex
Yell less
Make more friends
Get the entire family exercising together more

If I can accomplish half of those, I'll feel pretty dang good!  Some will be easy, some will be fun, and some will be very difficult.  But they're all going to be totally worth it!

So, tell me what you've had going on in life!  Any awesome holiday happenings?  Great gifts you got?  Resolutions you're looking forward to (or dreading)?  I wanna know!

1 comment: